Welcome to my tiny slice of the web. I have started I’d Rather Be Baking to not only be able to share some of my favorite recipes and tips with all of you, but also to chronicle my baking journey as I take on new and exciting challenges. I have a love for European style pastries and really hope that I can dive into learning more secrets on how to create the perfect morsels!
Want to get to know me better? Here are ten random things you may, or may not want to know about me. Thanks for stopping by!
1. I would love to be able to totally crush it on the piano with a rock solo in the middle of a thunderstorm with the windows open and the curtains billowing in the wind ala Guns N Roses November Rain video. Keep in mind I do not play the piano.
2.In September of 2017 I got a tattoo on my wrist, something I swore I would NEVER do. I’ve learned to never say never.
3. I learned to snow ski this past year at the age of 36.
4. In my younger days I MAY have confused the salt for sugar when making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. And the cookies MAY have turned out to taste like salt licks that you feed deer in the woods. But I’m not admitting to anything!
5. I’ve been married for going on 13 years and have two boys. One would never guess that my original plan had been to move to Europe and not getting married OR have kids. But I wouldn’t have my life any other way. All my boys are just too special to me.
6. I am a DIYer. I paint, can tear down drywall, remove wallpaper, you name it. I once spent over 25 hours power sanding our wooden garage doors so that I could bring them back to their former glory. They turned out beautifully if I may say so. Totally worth the arm jiggle feeling that lasted a good week!
7. I love baking shows (obviously!). Some of my favorites are Nailed It (Netflix, for the humor), Zumbos Just Desserts (Netflix), The Kitchen (Food Network) and Kids Baking Championship (Food Network) and most recently the Great British Baking Show (Netflix).
8. I love Chipmunks. Like LOVE them. We have a ton around our woods and we set out food for them. If anyone saw how much I talk to them they would probably think I am crazy. If you hear me reference chippies, I don’t mean chocolate chips, I mean my chipmunks.
9. Early on in my previous corporate career, I chopped my long blonde hair off to my jaw line and dyed it brown to be taken seriously. I was offered a promotion within 3 months. Coincidence? Hmm…I’m not so sure.
10. I’m a whiskey girl. What started as a hot toddy to help a common cold, turned into a love of bourbon and all things whiskey. I can enjoy it in a cocktail, but prefer it on the rocks or straight. I want to enjoy it in its pure form.
I would love to get to know my readers a bit more! Tell me what you favorite thing to bake (or want to learn to bake!) is and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible! Info@idratherbebaking.com